Mega water project in line for R737m boost

30 January 2019 | Web Article Number: ME201913381

Construction, Civil & Structural Engineering
Government & Municipal
Projects
Water & Effluent Management

THE Lower Thukela Bulk Water Supply project is in line for a major upgrade aimed at doubling its capacity from 55 megalitres (ml) of potable water per day to 110ml.

That’s according to Deputy Minister of Water and Sanitation Pamela Tshwete, who visited the weir at the heart of the project’s R1.6-billion first phase last Thursday. She said the estimated budget for phase two is R737 million.

Construction on phase one began in February 2013 and it was commissioned in April 2016, significantly boosting the supply of water to Ballito, Mandeni, Ndwendwe and surrounding areas.

More than 14 700 previously unconnected households now receive drinkable water through the system but, according to Tshwete, that’s just a fraction of its potential, with phase two set to serve more than 300 000 people.

“The total phase one budget is R1.6 billion of which R900 million was provided through the Regional Bulk Infrastructure Grant (RBIG, DWS). A total of R378 million was spent on 20 Small Medium Micro Enterprises (SMME) that participated during construction, this is in line with our National Development Plan that emphasises development of SMMEs,” Tshwete said,

“Temporary jobs of 160 000-person days of work were created and the total of R75 million paid in wages to the various labourers and artisans.”

No date has been set for phase two, which is currently in the design stage, but Tshwete said she hoped to return “soon” to provide details of its implementation.

Related Articles